Sunday, May 21, 2006

Boat Babies | Anchored in Life

The last eleven posts were stories from my sailing trip from Florida to Maryland on the Intercoastal Waterway. All journeys seem to transition; they are like a pomegranate, wonderful kernels of the bitter and the sweet. I am back in Michigan on the hard. I still have my sea legs...the ground is not rocking as some people experience when they first get off the boat. I was sharing that observation with my cousin and I commented that maybe, because I was such a "boat baby", meaning that I had grown up on boats, I did not notice much difference on the water or on the hard (anyplace not on the water). He replied that we are all boat babies from our days in the womb.

I mentioned I had learned how to properly anchor a boat in my post about the thirty one plus things I learned on my trip. Someday I plan to live on a boat so this information will come in handy. Each day as we found a welcoming harbor to spend the night in I would go up on the bow with my Dad and he would ask me how many feet of anchor chain we needed to put out to be secure for the night based on the depth of the water. We also planned ahead and pulled forward of the boats nearby so that when we dropped back on our anchors there would still be enough room to swing on the anchor line as the winds and tides changed without hitting the boats next to us or behind us.

The day before I left the boat I signed the guest book kept on Majestic Dream. I wanted to say something special to my Dad and to thank him for the wonderful time with him. As I was writing some special sentiments to him I also thanked him for teaching me how to anchor the boat. As I was writing I realized that planning for anchoring a boat was a good analogy for planning for life, I feel that from now on not only will I be anchored safely when I am in charge on a boat, but I feel that after this trip, I will be anchored in life better than I was before the journey. Thanks Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment